Thursday, January 1, 2015

Change

An annual Christmas tradition that has always meant a lot to me is baking cookies with the children. I'm not sure they have enjoyed it as much as I have.  They would probably say they love the end result! :)  For me it has been a fun time to spend together and to talk with one or two of them at a time.  It has also been fun to see how they choose to decorate their cookies from year to year.  We are *almost* past the dump-all-the-sprinkles-the-pan-will-hold stage.


This year, however, only the two youngest had a strong desire to bake cookies with me.  I could have "forced" the others to bake also, but chose instead to embrace the change.


Others may bake again next year....


so it is not necessarily a permanent change.  I am slowly learning, as my children age, to go with the flow and keep my own non-negotiables few.  I have some awesome mom friends with slightly older children to emulate as I become a parent of (almost) adult children.


And in the mean time, I thoroughly enjoyed baking with my 12 and 10 year olds!

No comments: