Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Saying Goodbye

We are having a wonderful time in California with relatives.  We have been visiting my aunts, uncle, and cousins, and our children's second cousins.  Rich, rich times.  And fun!  And emotionally exhausting.  Yesterday we visited with an elderly aunt and uncle whom I will likely not see again this side of heaven, so saying goodbye was very hard.  I'm not sure I said all the "right" things, but I said what seemed appropriate at the time.  How much I loved them, how important they were to our family, and that we would be praying for them regularly.  We told old stories, reminiscing and laughing.  We cried.  We prayed together.  The children hung out in the room the whole time, listening to the stories and sometimes coloring.  I wondered what they were thinking.  Driving away felt wrong, and yet we had to go.

Lord, have mercy on them.  And on us.

Today we are driving several hours to meet up with my parents and one of my sisters and her family to go camping together for four days.  I'm super excited for that!  More good-byes today.. and hellos.  Love can be complicated and hard!  But it's also deep and rich.  I'm thankful for an extended family that truly loves one another ~ it is a rare gift.

No comments: