Friday, June 29, 2012

All Boy Field Trip!!

Yesterday I braved the heat with my four boys and one visiting cousin, and we went to an historical venue for the day.  It was over 100 degrees with high humidity, but every time I felt like complaining about the heat I would think about Civil War soldiers fighting in the summer time in long-sleeved WOOL uniforms, and that stopped me every time!




We took a small cooler of food, and a large cooler of drinks.  We started the day with three large drinks each, covered with ice, and a few extra for the drive home.  It saved us a ton of money not buying drinks in the park.  And can I just say.... this is why I hang on to the stroller!




Inside an 1880's farm house.


Oh, and look, what is my beautifully manicured, weed free garden doing in the middle of this historical venue?!?



All the chickens were sitting in the shade, not moving much.  I couldn't blame them!





I took this picture so I'd remember to ask my dad what this is?  It had a total of four rotors, and hooked up to be pulled behind a wagon.  The boys asked me what it was and I didn't know. 



We spent a lot of time in the pottery shop.  It was fascinating, almost mesmerizing, to watch the potters at work!  (not to mention the powerful fan in the shop that cooled us off!)  The scripture reference in Isaiah 64:8 came to mind as I watched the potter perfect several small salt bowls.  Thinking of God as the potter, am I stubborn clay, that won't seat well on the wheel?  Or am I moldable clay, that easily allows the Potter to give it shape, form, and purpose? 




Feeding the ducks some of our lunch.



We rode this beautiful old carousel numerous times.  Something about riding up and down on a colorful fake animal with organ music playing is just SO.  MUCH.  FUN. :-)  






Riding in a Model T!  This was our cousin's first time, and he thought it was pretty cool.






The driver gave our son G his first driving lesson. ;-)




On the green they had a variety of 1800's games/activities set out to play with, and we all tried walking on these stilts.  Harder than it looks!




(just to prove that I was there too!)





We also rode on a steam engine train.  The breeze as we rode along was wonderfully refreshing!





Son L, age 12.



Son G, age 13.



Little Man, age 7.



Our nephew G, age 12.



Son C, age 10.


Great fun!

I so love boys!

No comments: