Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Twenty Years Ago

Today....

I made a new plan for the schoolroom, got approval for the plan from my better half, and began rearranging furniture

Felt hopeful about being able to use the schoolroom sooner rather than later!

Took my two oldest boys to their first guitar lesson

While waiting for said lesson to be over, read several books to Little Man, assuaging some of my guilt at not spending much time with him lately

Did some work for the women's group at church that I'm in, and made some arrangements for this weekend.

But twenty years ago......

I excitedly put on a beautiful white dress with my mom, sisters, and closest girlfriends helping me.

Tried to eat something but had a hard time with that because I was so excited and nervous.

Asked my sisters and girlfriends to check the auditorium to make sure that people were actually showing up.

Knew in my gut that it was so much more than the fun of getting ready in a room full of excited females, and that I was about to take a permanent, life altering step.

When I was ready in my wedding finery, I joined my husband-to-be in the sanctuary for picture taking before the ceremony. I was thrilled that my man seemed to be completely overcome with my beauty! haha We kissed briefly, had a few private moments together, and then gave ourselves over to the photographer to work his magic.

Later I walked down the aisle on the arm of my dad, who until this day had been my number one male hero, and pledged my life, love, and loyalty to my new number one hero.

Honestly, I've glanced back once or twice since then, but by God's grace have never turned from the covenant we made together that day.

Honey, this year has been rough in ways that the previous two years of financial hardship were not. Sometimes the pain and struggle of our loved ones has been so hard to bear, and I know there were times that you and I both wished we could sortof walk away for a while, not necessarily from each other, but from life. For a short break. It is in this testing that I have come to more fully appreciate your integrity. Your unwavering commitment to do and be what God wants you to do and be. You are wise, unselfish, compassionate, and so so generous. I love you so much more today than I did twenty years ago, and I'm so glad that we both said "I will." I would marry you all over again!

Happy Anniversary sweetheart.

9 comments:

tsbloom said...

Pam, Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful message that you shared with us! So blessed to have your family apart of our lives! You and Brett need to have a special date night asap!!

votemom said...

lovely.
may God refresh you both this weekend.

Lona said...

Happy Anniversary, dear friend. May God grant you peace and rest and many more years with your man of integrity. Priceless...

lazy susie said...

Happy anniversary! We just hit 20 also. Doesn't it feel awesome?!

Teacher/Mom said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! It would be fun to hear what was going on in the mind of your other half. Something from the male perspective. May the LORD bless you even more richly in the next twenty years.

Leslie said...

Happy Anniversary! Praying that God will bless you with many more happy years!

Keri Harrison said...

Happy Anniversary!

Beth in Texas said...

Happy belated anniversary. Have a great time away this weekend.

Targetshopper: said...

Happy Anniversary! This was a great post and your message to B was so sweet and honest and full of love. I'm so thankful for your 20 years together, your weekend away, and your love for each other that keeps growing even after all of this time together. You're an inspiration and I love you!