Monday, May 9, 2011

Foot Update!

Have I mentioned that I love my physical therapist?

She is part therapist, part trainer, and part counselor. God was SO GOOD to answer our prayer of pairing me with the right person!

I am improving steadily and my pain is decreasing steadily. I am definitely on the right track. I can do things now, with mild discomfort, that seemed impossible six months ago. Small things, like standing in the kitchen to cook dinner, going up and down the stairs doing laundry, and standing in the doorway talking to someone. And I can do big things, like..... RUN!

Yes, I am running again. It's only twice a week, for five or eight minutes each time, on the treadmill under the watchful eye of my physical therapist, but it's RUNNING! (jogging actually, but let's not quibble....)

At her urging I visited a Running Fit store and bought some expensive, cushy new running shoes. I took them in to show her last week and told her that my biggest fear was getting to the point of being able to start 5K training, experiencing a set back, and having to stop because of the pain. And she said, "then we need to attack the fear. Get on the treadmill." I said, "right now?" "Yes, right now. I'm going to show you that you can run, hurt a little, and recover. You are ready."

And you know what? She was right! My foot hurts when I'm done. But by the next morning my foot has recovered and I can walk with virtually no pain. I'm not ready to run every day yet, but I can run about every third day. She will work with me until I am ready to begin 5K training and then turn me loose. She knows about my life goal and she is taking her job of helping me get to that goal very seriously. She even made me my very own, customized for me, 5K training schedule. I won't be ready to start it for a couple more weeks, but I'm getting there!

Have I mentioned how thankful I am for her?

5 comments:

Greg said...

This is great news. I'm so happy for you! Keep up the good work. We can go running next time we're together....(and let me just say that I haven't been running since I started working so...not sure if I'll be able to keep up with you!)

votemom said...

hooray - soooooo happy for you pam!

Beth in Texas said...

Woohoo! I heard part of this briefly yesterday but happy to hear the whole story. Now, I'm wishing I was up there close enough to go to her for my knee. :-)

Targetshopper: said...

So excited for you!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! Now I'm thankful for her TOO!!!!!

So happy for you to have found someone who is a perfect partner in your fight to regain lost footing.
I love you, sis. Maybe I can even be there when that 5K happens....?
Deb