Monday, November 22, 2010

Saving My Sanity

I need to say at the outset that I am very thankful to have a kitchen (to have a house for that matter, after the last two years of uncertainty!) and it worked well as our schoolroom for 8 years. But after moving our schoolroom to the basement for the fall of 2009, loving having a dedicated schoolroom for a year, and then having to come back up to the kitchen for the fall of 2010, it was no longer working well. I didn't have the right organizational system. Our "stuff" didn't fit. The kitchen had to serve at least two full time functions and it was always cluttered. And I do mean always.

Here's the proof:



The yellow crate on the floor in the above picture was my teacher's "desk." All my teacher binders were in there. Purse oh so conveniently placed on top! You know, just to make getting my things out a little more challenging.




It was slowly driving me crazy. I would almost have panic attacks sometimes over all the stuff. Not a calming room or environment at all. I don't know how the children were ever able to focus. No wonder we had trouble in that department!

Then I had an epiphany. I love having epiphanies!

Why wait until the schoolroom was completely finished before moving back downstairs? We could school in the midst of construction at least as well as we had schooled in the midst of kitchen chaos.

And so, we moved our school room back downstairs. Little Man got his own area under the basement stairs (which has since moved to right next to my desk - he needed closer monitoring). :-)


He has a big playmat area for doing special activities with his brother C every morning. He has thanked me several times a day for this play mat! ($25 at Sam's Club). If you ask him at the end of the school year what his favorite thing was about kindergarten, I bet you money he will say "my playmat!" (that is, if I were a betting woman!)


There is more than adequate space for the other 4 at the table. This is looking toward the back of the room, which will become the front of the classroom when the room is finished.


And the picture below is standing at the current back of the room (the future front) looking toward......

....drum roll please....

MY DESK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Yes, for the first time in 10 years of homeschooling, I have my own desk!! I am such a geek. This desk BLESSES me. Love, love, love having my own space!


And now my kitchen can be....


just



a kitchen.



And my sanity remains intact (for the moment!).

7 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Beautiful! And the desk ain't half bad either. Blessings.

votemom said...

i think i can imagine how good it must feel - it makes me want to take a deep cleansing breath just looking at the pix!

so happy for you. and i hope the job can start progressing soon to completion. hooray!

emma said...

like.

lahbluebonnet said...

Oh yes,we've homeschooled in the midst of constructing a new schoolroom clutter and it in the midst of having moved across the country schoolroom boxes to unpack in the basement! Since I no longer have a real desk where I can spread out and plan and teach, I tend to work all over the house and have piles here and there. Oh well, without a dedicated space, this will suffice. Especially with the kids graduating in less than 4 years!
Blessings,
Laurie

Leslie said...

Great job!!! I'm happy for you that you have your space in the kitchen, room downstairs - and a desk of your own!!!

Hugs to you,
Leslie

Angela said...

that looks awesome! i'm sure school has a more relaxing and peaceful feel to it and so does being in the kitchen! what a great idea!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE IT!!!! Love the schoolroom! Love the DESK! And the cute little black side table in your kitchen is just so peacefully simple! Congrats!