Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Overheard.....

In history and Bible we have been learning about the tent Tabernacle that the Lord instructed Moses to make as a dwelling place for the Lord's Presence while the Israelites were traveling to the land God had promised them. God gave incredibly specific instructions for the construction of the Tabernacle and all its parts, which we have read about in the book of Exodus. We have also looked at other books, lots of pictures, and are in the process of making our own model of the Tabernacle.

This morning we were talking about how plain the Tabernacle was on the outside (the outermost covering - or "roof" - was made from the hides of sea cows, possibly manitees!). The golden objects and fine curtain "walls" were reserved for the inside of the Tabernacle. I asked the children what this fact might teach us about God, and 8 year old C said:

"I think it means that it doesn't matter what we look like or what we do on the outside, it matters what's in our hearts. Our body is like the tent of the Tabernacle and we have the presence of God inside us, just like the Tabernacle had the Presence of God inside it."

WOW!!!!

I admit, I was floored. Not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that, and not from an eight year old.

I am SO thankful for what the Holy Spirit is teaching our children as we study His Word together!

2 comments:

emma said...

that's SUPER cool :)

Beth in Texas said...

I don't think *I* could have come up with that no matter how long I thought about it. What a great observation!