Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Kindergarten - Week Four

Little Man and I are finally in a good routine with kindergarten I think. It has been challenging for me to add another child to the academic schedule, and organize myself in such a way as to spend focused time with each child each day. But I am getting there. With lots and lots of God's grace.

Each morning Little Man starts the day by listening to the Bible and drawing in his Bible journal, along with all his siblings. Every afternoon he has story time with mom and either history or science together with his brothers. In between he rotates through a variety of activities, as well as working in his math book, handwriting book, and a new phonics workbook (see below), though we don't do all three workbooks every day.

Here he is doing a new math activity with a book similar to this, and a tub of pattern blocks.



After he got the picture covered with pattern blocks, he took them off the paper and sorted each type of block into its own pile. Then we counted how many of each type he had used for that picture (the sort sheet below was for a different picture than "Arnold Alligator", for those of you looking closely). ;-)


After the "official" math activity was finished, he had fun building whatever he wanted out of pattern blocks!


The last new book we added to Little Man's seatwork is this "Get Ready for the Code" phonics workbook. He worked in this book about three times during the week.


It starts out very simply, identifying same and different.

He is having fun in kindergarten, and so am I! I had forgotten how much mental work it is though. He is very tired at the end of the day.

(aren't we all???)

3 comments:

CAB said...

Awesome! Those blocks are fantastic - why don't I have some of those? Where did you get yours, or do you recall? That looks like it would be right up my Mr. A's and Mr. E, for that matter - who am I kidding, all the children would want to do it - their alley, that is what I started to say...anyway - share share share - every time I read your blog I find something fun and enjoyable - keep it up!

Pam said...

CAB, I bought our pattern blocks at our local teacher supply store years ago. You can find them now lots of different places online. Even Amazon carries them!

lahbluebonnet said...

I love those pattern blocks!
Blessings,
Laurie