Thursday, August 26, 2010

Days Three and Four

There has been much emotion and drama in our home (and therefore school) the last two days. Questions, tears, misunderstandings, lost papers (yes, already), mixed signals, disobedience. Some of it is teenage hormones. Some of it's the annual don't-want-to-end-the-relaxed-summer-schedule thing. Some of it is the fact that I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was, and our schoolroom is still not usable. Some of it is sin.

Today our 8 year old asked if he could run away from home (at least he asked first!!).

Sigh.

Deep breath.

Bullet prayer for wisdom and discernment.

Long talk on the couch with 8 year old.

Prayer together.

Long hug. Child didn't want to let go.

Long talk with another child about work ethic and expectations.

Prayer together.

Long hug. I didn't want to let go.

Talk with 10 year old about why an internet gaming site was not suitable for him.

Tears. Disappointment. Ultimately submission and trust.

Prayer together.

Long hug.

Talk with 5 year old at 10:00 p.m. last night when scary thoughts about parasites prevented him from going to sleep.

(Just fyi, don't let your children watch 'Animal Planet' at someone else's house while you visit with the grown ups without first checking to see exactly what's showing)

Prayer together.

Song together.

Soaking in the moment when my presence still makes everything better.

Long hug. Neither he nor I wanted to let go.



Honestly, I'm exhausted. But this is one of the big reasons we homeschool. This type of character training and discussing and praying with our children about every day things is what we signed up for. This is the process of discipleship.

Thank you, God. For these moments. Tiring and taxing and insightful and precious.

Please restore me and fill me and prepare me for whomever wants to run away tomorrow.

8 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Hmm, my nine year old wants to run away too. Should we swap for a little while? Sounds like our house - so I guess neither of us is strange but we're both normal. Isn't interesting how the enemy uses the same tactics to try to wreak havoc in our homes? Good thing our weapon of choice is so powerful! Blessings.

votemom said...

let me know if it's YOU who wants to run away! we have an extra bedroom if you need it for a night!

CAB said...

Lord help us all through this journey! :)

lahbluebonnet said...

Oh, how sad, especially considering how much effort you put into making it an ease into school/fun week. It could be interesting for us. We are going on vacation for a week and then two days after we get back, we'll hit all the subjects! I hope everything has calmed down.
Blessings,
Laurie

Mary Gandee said...

Hello! I've stumbled upon your blog via Marcia's Blog(TOG). I am new to TOG this year(jumping into Year 3)and I have been slightly overwhelmed to say the least, but I know that it is what I've been looking for all the while.(6th year now...3 boys) I just wanted to let you know that your latest post could have been my own! I had a good chuckle...and was even moved to tears by your closing words. I praise God for the encouragement he sends my way...sometimes through complete strangers! God bless you and your family!

MarshaAnne said...

This was a great post. Ryan and I both really enjoyed it.

Lacegardener said...

This is my second visit to your blog (via TOG Yr. 1) and I've enjoyed both. I can relate to the 'bullet prayers' for wisdom and the individual child sessions of talk/prayer/hugs -- very good practices to keep their hearts :)

Enjoyed the papyrus paper project, we'll probably be trying that this week, I know my two younger ones will enjoy it! :) Thank You!!

Angela said...

brought tears to my eyes! what a day! and what amazing opportunities to parent, teach and train your precious kids!