Friday, May 28, 2010

Johnny Prophet

We have a new teaching pastor at our church whom I just love. Love, love, love his teaching! Love his passion for God's Word. Love his friendliness and ability to connect with people. Love his wife and family. Love God for bringing him to our church. Just really feelin' the love. :-)

He has been preaching a series on John the Baptist, and some talented and creative people at our church decided to couch the series in a 50's theme and call it:


Last Sunday, in association with this series, we had a 50's style potluck dinner after church. It was SO MUCH FUN!! I have always loved the 50's. When I was a preteen and teen, I used to pour over my parents' high school year books, as they both graduated in the 50's and were married in 1959. I was in love with 50's cars, 50's clothes, and 50's music. On a side note, it was very fascinating for me, personally, to study the 50's in more detail during our history studies this year, and learn more about this decade that I had always been in love with. It had some very ugly aspects to it, as well as the cars, clothes and music that are now so oft associated with the 50's. But considering my love affair with this decade, it was a very fun potluck!!








We even had a hoola hoop contest and a bubble gum blowing contest!


Probably the thing I loved the most is that it was a church wide event that included people of all generations, ages, and stages. Our church has determined that is a high value to us, and though it would be a lot easier to be all one kind of church (contemporary or traditional) with predominantly one style of worship, we are working through the messiness of what it means to be a true "family" church (with people at each age end of the family spectrum) with a blended worship style. I love that! I love my church family!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

The potluck looks like so much fun. I wish our church did this sort of thing. It is one disadvantage of a large church (there are many positives) - we don't have these types of gatherings. Looks like so much fun.