Monday, May 3, 2010

13th Birthday Tea

One of my gifts to my daughter for her 13th birthday was a birthday tea, where older women of influence in our daughter's life could come and share words of wisdom and encouragement with her as she embarks on her teenage years. I invited ladies that have an ongoing relationship with our daughter, women whom she respects.


I got out all our nice tea things (a feminine tea party is such a fun thing now and then! ~ especially in our houseful of boys!) and decorated the center of the table with photos of our daughter at various stages of her life.


When it was each woman's turn to share, they came and sat next to G, first presenting her with a rose and then sharing the words that God had laid on their hearts to share.


I loved how each woman shared something different! This is my friend votemom, who has two little girls that G has played with several times as a "mother's helper" (great babysitting practice and a blessing to their mom!).


One of G's small group Bible Study leaders.


The two year old Sunday School teacher at our church, whom G helps out twice a month.


My good friend Amy, mother of G's best friend.


G's other small group Bible Study leader.


And Grandma of course! I read a lovely letter from her other grandma (my mom) since she was not able to be there in person. I also read a letter from my friend Sally (G's writing teacher at co-op for much of the year) since she could not be there in person either.


At the end of the tea, G had a lovely bouquet of roses to remind her of the beautiful woman God is making her to be, and the beautiful women God has placed in her life to mentor her. She also had a stack of letters with incredible words of wisdom and admonition, letters which I am putting in a scrapbook for her. Votemom challenged her to read through the scrapbook each year on her birthday, as it will mean something different to her each year as she grows older.

It was a lovely time. Thank you to all the women who took time out of their busy schedules to help love on and mentor our daughter in this way! You are each so special to me and to her!

5 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Looks like great fun! Who cried more - you or G?

Pam said...

Me. :0) But not too much. I was trying really hard not to embarrass her.

Targetshopper: said...

I'm in tears just reading this and looking through the pictures!! I LOVE this idea and would love to steal it with Addy if you don't mind!? What a precious precious precious time it must have been.

Pam said...

TS, of course you are welcome to use this idea with Addy! It's not entirely original ~ I tweaked several ideas I've heard from others over the years to make it "mine". It *was* very precious.

lahbluebonnet said...

How special! I love those tea cups!
Blessings,
Laurie