Friday, April 30, 2010

Road Trip

I approached the counter of the car rental office and asked for my rented minivan. As the car rental guy looked up my reservation, I reflected on the road trip we were about to take. The children and I had the opportunity to go to our beloved Sarah's "pinning" and convocation from the nursing school of her university. Doing so however, would mean a drive of several hours each way. Though it would be a very short trip, there and back in one day, I felt nervous about taking our ragged running minivan that far by myself. So we decided to rent a minivan for the day. My reverie was interrupted by the car rental guy, who was smiling broadly.

"I have a sweet deal for you today. We've had an unusually high number of requests for minivans, so how about a free upgrade? A nicer vehicle for the same price as the minivan?"

I did a quick mental inventory of makes and models. What other vehicle could comfortably seat 5 children and all their road trip gear?


"Uh, what type of vehicle would it be?"


The car rental guy's face was literally beaming.


"A brand new, 2010 Cadillac Escalade!"


I live so far outside the world of Cadillacs that I was not as impressed as the car rental guy clearly thought I should be.


"Well, does it have cruise control?"


He barely suppressed his laughter.


"Oh yes ma'am. It's fully loaded. It definitely has cruise control."


We went outside to see the Escalade, and then I realized how much of an upgrade we were getting. It was tall. It was big. It had bling. It was dripping, no oozing luxury from every pore of its shiny black and silver exterior.

The children were ecstatic! We loaded 2 carseats, 5 children, pillows and pajamas for the drive home, a cooler, and our road trip activity bag into the vehicle and off we went.

Good-bye old minivan!



Hello Cadillac Escalade!


I told the children it was a special love pat from the Lord, totally unexpected and unnecessary. Pure love.

We had a delightful road trip to Sarah and Hailey's college, and an even more delightful time being with them!

(Pics of Sarah's convocation coming next!)

8 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

SWEET!!!!

Nothing more needs be said. Blessings.

Beth in Texas said...

An Escalade is a luxury Suburban. What a treat! Hope everyone is not coveting now. I know I would be. LOL But what I really want to know is how was the audiobook?!?!? I'm dying to know. ;-) So happy to read Brett's news on FB. I started crying!

Pam said...

Beth,

Unfortunately the CD was super staticky and we finally took it out because we couldn't hear the story well at all. We played other music CD's so I think it was the CD and not the player. I'll try it in the house today and see if we get better results. They liked what they could hear though! (Misty of Chincoteague for those of you wondering)

Pam said...

P.S. I am not coveting. There are actually several features that I like better on my minivan!! There is virtually no storage in the Escalade, and I really dispute their claim that it seats 7. Three bodies across the back bench seat would have to be very small bodies and they would have to have very short legs, because the seats are on a raised "floor". There was no where to put my purse up front, and the cup holders were in inconvenient places (like they were there just to be there but not actually to be used).

However, a couple of the children are coveting. Something to work on!

Beth in Texas said...

:-( about Misty. So happy to hear that you tested the Escalade out and found it lacking. I want a Suburban but I haven't actually tested one out, so maybe I need to go do that. ;-) We have a friend moving to Switzerland and have offered to buy hers but I think her sister is going to buy it.

Lona said...

How fun!

Loren Warnemuende said...

What a great treat! (Though your comments about what was lacking were funny :) --sounds like you're quite happy with the good ol' minivan. I know as much as I complain about ours being old, I really am attached to it!)

lahbluebonnet said...

I'm glad it all worked out so well!
Blessings,
Laurie