Tuesday, March 30, 2010

U is for United States of America!

And pineapple upside down cake!

Cooking and baking are such wonderful activities for children for so many reasons. It's a tactile activity, the children feel as if they are doing something "big" and purposeful, and you can have such great conversations while cooking. Just look at their faces in these next pictures! I'm so thankful that we have been able to cook with the young 5's almost every week of co-op. This week Lisa, our young 5's teacher for March, had us make a pineapple upside down cake, and we took turns mixing up the cake and coloring our "U" pages.













While the cake was baking, we read books about the United States, and talked about the map of our country.



We made red, white, and blue foam star necklaces that said "I love the U.S.A.!"





And finally, the big moment we waited for all morning.....would the cake come out of the pan when we turned it upside down?

Ta-da! It did!


It was very delicious, and it was a nice enough day to eat outside!

3 comments:

Targetshopper: said...

I'm going to have to start popping in for Letter Day because your snacks always look so good!!

Leslie said...

This looks like so much fun! I wish my 5yo could join in as I know he would love it! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings
Leslie

Dana Leeds said...

That looks like so much fun! My brother, sister & I always ask my mom for pineapple upside down cakes for our birthdays. :-) And, I have NEVER made one myself! Yikes! Guess I need to help her next time... or at least let my daughter help out.