Thursday, December 24, 2009

Final Preparations for Christmas

I think we are officially "ready". Ready with all the extraneous stuff. My heart has been ready all season! Honestly, this Christmas means so much to me as I contemplate the meaning of "Emmanuel - God with us." We have felt God's presence so keenly this past year during my husband's unemployment, and His power and peace and grace were displayed so vividly in so many ways........I marvel at His coming, what He left in order to put on flesh for a time, and my heart is overflowing with gratitude.

We will begin opening presents tonight. We open in chunks ~ presents within our immediate family on Christmas Eve night, stockings and presents from WA on Christmas morning, Christmas afternoon we go to my husband's parents' for a big dinner and open gifts there. The children are right now counting down the hours til tonight! And I'm really excited too, as we were able to find great deals on some of the things they *really* wanted. I can't wait to watch the children open their gifts!

Yesterday I took the last two children shopping at the dollar store, while our oldest stayed in the van with the others. It was the 10 year old and the new 5 year old. With the 10 year old I just stood inside the entrance with my back to the store and waited. With the 5 year old I had to stay right with him all the time, so picking out a gift for me without me seeing was a bit tricky. I chose two items that were displayed close together, turned my back and told him to pick one and put it in his coat pocket. When we got to check out, I explained the situation to the clerk, turned my back for another moment, and she scanned my present which he promptly put back in his pocket! And it worked, because I don't know which of the two he picked out. Should be interesting tonight. ;-)

My husband was much relieved that he didn't have to take all the children shopping this morning for a mommy gift. His time is so limited, and I hate feeling rushed on Christmas Eve. I like to be done, and just leisurely enjoy the whole day. In a short time we are going to start a game of horseopoly (like monopoly only with a horse theme). The lights are on, Christmas music is playing, my family are all here and my husband gets a 4 day weekend.....wonderful!

Whatever your Christmas celebrations involve, ENJOY your loved ones, and know that the lover of your soul came so that you and I might know the love of God intimately, personally, deeply, and eternally.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

lahbluebonnet said...

The kids have often shopped for me this way. This year they shopped in CW and I feel so safe there, I can stay on the streets or pop into another building and let them take care of business. DS has been hinting at my gift and he and dd usually tell me too much. Originally they were going to be me the latest Drive Thru History DVDs which they found out I am going to buy them eventually. For my bd they thought it important I have an inkwell from CW to go with my quill and ink. It's always fun to see what's going on in kids' heads.
I am waiting for dh to come home with cumin so I can make tamales for tonight. This is a first for me, since I can't get TexMex up here.
An added touch is all the snow outside.
I am so touched by all that God has done in our lives this year and in yours too!
Blessings,
Laurie

Targetshopper: said...

Merry Christmas!! I can't wait to see pictures and hear how the kids loved their gifts!! Praying that time is multiplied for you and you can cherish the 4 day weekend.

Teacher/Mom said...

We always do the dollar store for gifts as well. Except Princess L, this year, decided to go around the house taking random objects and wrapping them up. She did it for days. So whenever we couldn't find something we had to go to her "hiding" spot and see if we could feel the paper to find the right shape.