Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Twist on Black Friday Shopping

I have never gone shopping the day after Thanksgiving. Waking up before the crack of dawn and fighting crowds of crazed shoppers is not really my idea of fun. And most of the time, the doorbuster deals are not things I want or need or was going to buy anyway. This year, however, I was tempted to give it a try because we were looking for a good deal on one of these.

I followed a link from the Happy Housewife blog to a website called A Full Cup, which is dedicated to finding deals and saving money. There was tons of information there about Black Friday deals, and I stumbled upon Target's Black Friday ad paper, which hasn't been released to the public yet (you can see it here). Lo and behold, one of their items to be deeply discounted on Friday was the exact item I was looking for!

Then I read even better news. Target has a price adjustment policy which states that if an item you purchase goes on sale within two weeks of purchase date, you can show your receipt and be refunded the difference. So I'm testing out that theory this week. Tonight I went and bought the item in question at full price, and sometime on Friday (not at 5 a.m.!) I will take my receipt to customer service and ask for a price adjustment. If it works, it will be a savings of $52. Whoo-hooo!! There were lots of women at the Full Cup forum who said they did this last year on Black Friday and it worked great. So I'm very hopeful. Another cool thing about buying early is that they haven't run out of that particular item.

On Friday I will get to sleep "in" (whatever that means), eat a leisurely breakfast in my pj's, read a good book in front of a warm fire, and still get a fantastic black friday deal! I'll let you know if it works!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great idea! I hope it works for you!!!

BTW, I'm with you on not going shopping on that day. Doesn't hurt that we are not in a town that has much place to shop either. lol

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Blessings
Leslie

Beth in Texas said...

I was in Target the other day and thought about this and wondered if it were possible. Of course, I'm not looking for a specific thing like that but it's good to know for the future. I did get an email from Target this morning that has online sales for the next two days and I think that camera may have been there for the same price. If it wasn't that one, it was very similar. One thing I like about shopping online with Target is that after $50, it's free shipping. I bought some furniture for my last birthday this way. It was so much better than going to the store.

votemom said...

i've never done BF shopping either. i can't imagine anything less desireable!

i hope your plan works!!

lahbluebonnet said...

We did do this 20 years ago in June I think with a comforter set we had purchased, that went on sale within two weeks after purchase at Target. DH saw the sale later and said something and they had him bring in the receipt and we got the refund. Happy Thanksgiving!
Blessings,
Laurie