Monday, September 28, 2009

C is for Cupcake and Caterpillar

I love our young 5's class at co-op! It is so fun for me to teach a kindergarten type class again. Kindergarten was the first level I ever taught in public school, but it was years ago. Since then I have enjoyed teaching kindergarten to my own children at home, but it is fun to do some things in a group. This week we learned about the "c-c-c" sound.

We drew the letter "c" in the air, on each other's backs, and in sand.


Then we practiced writing it with actual pencils!

We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, and made our own caterpillars just like the one in the book. We used special Eric Carle-ish paper (made by Klutz). He would paint tissue paper to add various colors and textures to it, and then cut out or tear the shapes he wanted to use and arrange them into a collage type picture. (Unfortunately I do not see this paper on the Klutz website. I bought it at Barnes and Noble 8 years ago).



We made c-c-cupcakes.


And decorated them with the letter "c" on top. I didn't have all the ingredients for making my own frosting and couldn't afford to buy any, so we just used what decorations I had on hand and the kids loved it! I mean, have you ever got to put smarties on top of a cupcake?






It was a fun morning and I do so love these children! Our older children had another great IEW writing class. Each of our 3 older ones are really enjoying this class and each is "taking off" with writing at their own speed. I am very pleased with how well they are able to formulate their ideas of what to write, and how to include the proper "dress-ups". My friend Sally is doing a wonderful job with this class! Having class time on Friday to learn new concepts and get assignments helps provide structure to our writing time throughout the following week.

We are really nailing the writing this year, and having a fun time focusing on the younger ones also. Exactly what our purposes were for forming this co-op! I am so thankful!

3 comments:

lahbluebonnet said...

How wonderful!
Blessings,
Laurie

lazy susie said...

It sounds like it is working out perfectly. I would love to do something like that!

So, you don't teach the writing in the class, but you teach it during the week?

Beth in Texas said...

I want to be you when I grow up. :-)