Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It's always the little things, isn't it?

Or more accurately, it's quite often the little things. My little things this week were preceeded by a big thing. During our time in WA we were given a large sum of money by a dear and well loved relative (she was dear and well loved before she gave us the money!). This enabled us to pay off 2 months of our back mortgage payments, pay another large bill that was overdue, and have a little left over. When we got the news of my husband's job offer, after we whooped and hollered and did several happy dances, I went out and bought some flowers to celebrate.

Now you may think that buying flowers is rather a strange way to celebrate a new job. Not buying flowers was one of my personal hardships this spring and summer. I love flowers and I love flowering up my front porch and using it as my own personal retreat. I typically spend quite a bit of time during the summer on my porch. This year I just could not buy any flowers. I did buy seeds for the vegetable garden, but that was it. We needed to eat more than I needed my personal retreat on the porch, but my soul really missed it. So it was with great joy that I headed off to the flower store where I bought two large pots of mixed flowers at halfprice (because it is, after all, nearing the end of summer and fall mums will be out soon!) and set them on my porch.

This one is just a transplanted "lamb's ear" from another place in my yard......



...but this one, oh! Does it not make you happy just looking at it?!


And happy little people enjoying the porch is even better!

The other small thing I did was go to Sam's Club and buy every.single.item.on.my.list, which is something I have not done for 9 months. That also made me very happy. :-)

Thanks be to God for the big and small things!

8 comments:

Beth in Texas said...

What a blessing, Pam!

lahbluebonnet said...

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blessings,
Laurie

Teacher/Mom said...

Beautiful flowers! I cannot grow flowers for anything. Growing up, our cat ate every plant he found. Even poinsettas - nothing happened to him. So my mom always had silk plants and flowers. I got used to seeing them without thinking in my head, "I need to water these." So to this day, the sight of a planter or flower pot does not make me think to water it.

Yea for Sam's Club and getting everything you needed! I have a feeling you will never, ever take that for granted again. I suspect that your level of "greatfulness" will be more on the level God is looking for from all of us. May He bless us all with those lessons. So happy for your family, my friend, and for the way God has grown your faith, and by extension mine as well.

lazy susie said...

It is the little things that make us happy, isn't it??

We have two large planters by our garage (our main entrance for the last 1.5 years) that are crying out for some lovely flowers like yours.

I left $ and instructions for the babysitter to take my daughters shopping for flowers for the planters when I went out of town. Unfortunatly, they used the money for junk food instead. Not a good choice. The result is empty planters and no more jobs for that sitter.

Jennifer said...

Aaahhh! Lovely. Here's to many nice days left in the summer in which to enjoy your porch!

Susanne Barrett said...

Gorgeous flowers! I've missed having flowers, too. I love to garden, and I've been unable to do anything this spring/summer. In fact, I've been so depressed about it that I haven't gone out to look at the flower beds -- the boys have watered them daily, but I just can't handle seeing my empty beds.

So glad you can remedy this and enjoy buying flowers again!

Targetshopper: said...

The little things do mean so much. The flowers are beautiful and I hope you are taking time the rest of the summer to sit on the porch, rest, and enjoy them. Happy retreating!

Leslie said...

So happy for y'all!!!

Little things can indeed be very big things!

Blessings
Leslie