Monday, June 15, 2009

This 'n That

1. This week is Vacation Bible School at our church. Our family has not done VBS at our own church for a number of years, for a variety of reasons, but we are participating this year in order to bring our neighbors. One came with us today, tomorrow 3 more may come! I am teaching the kindergarten story time 2 days this week, and another mom is teaching the other 3. So on the days I am not teaching I can drop off the older 4 and have special time with Little Man! :-)

2. I am currently watching a mosquito bite on our son C's forehead, concerned because it is quite swollen and hot to the touch. He is prone to cellulitis (has had it at least 4 times, hospitalized twice). I drew a pen line around the spot tonight so that I can measure whether or not the redness is spreading. He graciously told me that I did not need to wash off the pen mark before VBS tomorrow morning....."I won't be embarrassed mommy!".

3. Our beloved cat died yesterday. :-( We had known he was gravely ill for just 3 days. He was 13 years old, and a really, really, really great cat ~ playful, sociable, and very patient with children. We are all sad and trying to adjust to not seeing him around the house. We had a funeral service for him yesterday after church and buried him in our backyard. It was a sad ending to a tough week.

4. On a happier note, we were given money to purchase plane tickets for a trip to Washington this summer!! We are all just thrilled that we will get to go. It's been 3 years since we have been there but it's where I grew up, where my parents still live, and this summer they will be celebrating 50 years of marriage! My husband will have to stay home and work, but the children and I are so blessed to be able to go. All spring I have been trying to figure out how we could make a way to purchase tickets for all the children, and feeling extremely sad at the prospect of not being able to make it happen. It was really hard for me to lay that before the Lord and tell Him that I was willing to be made willing to not go. And now we can! Thank you Lord!

5. My husband spent all afternoon and evening yesterday, when we were not having our cat's funeral, changing both front brakes on our minivan. I am so thankful for my husband! Our brakes were grinding terribly and I was afraid to drive the van, but didn't know how we could afford the repair. He did it for less than $90. It was a pleasure to drive today!

6. Soccer is over. Our team had a pretty dismal record (1-4-5) and yet it was a great season!

7. We had a WONDERFUL church service yesterday! It really helped me focus on the bigness of God, and the insignificance (in scale) of our problems. And how amazing that such a big God cares deeply for the significance (in value) of our problems. Such love. It was a meaningful morning of worship and just what my soul needed.

8. We had rotisserie style crockpot chicken tonight for dinner. I love rotisserie style crockpot chicken!

9. We are having beautiful weather right now ~ I wish it could stay like this all summer, but it will get more humid.

10. We are babysitting 4 additional children right now, and we are watching the old movie "What's Up Doc?". I love this movie! It's one of my all time favs. Our family regularly uses several lines from this movie. So I'm going to go finish watching it ~ good bye!

7 comments:

Beth in Texas said...

I'm so excited for you about going to see your parents and family!!!!

lahbluebonnet said...

How exciting about the plane tickets!
Blessings,
Laurie

Teacher/Mom said...

How wonderful that you will be able to travel! Those milestone celebrations are so far and few between now-a-days that we must celebrate the ones we have. We are traveling this weekend to ND to do a belated 90th celebration for my Grandma. We were supposed to go in March - the weekend where almost all of ND was shut down for flooding. So we rescheduled for June.

My Mom lived in Spokane for many years and I have two step-siblings that still live there. It is a beautiful state, at least the few areas I've seen.

votemom said...

i am so thrilled for you pam! i know you will return with your emotional/spiritual/mental fuel tank filled to the brim - what an incredible blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd like the recipe for the chicken you mentioned.

and
is that the movie with b.streisand?

Unknown said...

It's good to read this post. Sounds like you're a bit more encouraged overall than lately. I'm glad. Still praying for you guys.

Anonymous said...

"There's a person named Eunice?!"

Pam said...

Debbie:

"I'm coming in!"

"I'm going to try to be the same."

Ahh, love that movie!!!