Saturday, June 20, 2009

Another Bend in the Road

Our family loves road trips. We love being together in the van, having funny and sometimes revealing conversations, listening to music and Adventures in Odyssey CD's for hours on end. There are so many interesting things to see from the car window, especially if we take back roads. When we are planning a big road trip we always try to map out our traveling days so we know how far we have to go each day and where we are going to sleep each night before moving on. Despite this planning we have been surprised many times by detours caused by construction, or a backup which delayed us. Though the experience of these detours and delays hasn't always been enjoyable, they certainly make the road trip more interesting! And never once have we failed to arrive at our destination.

So it is with our unemployment journey. The experience of being unemployed or underemployed has not always been very pleasant, but the journey itself has been rich in many ways. And I'm so glad God sees our destination and is guiding us there, aren't you?

We learned of another bend in the road earlier this week when my husband was told he was being laid off from his part time temp job due to a cash flow crunch. Friday was his last day. The company hopes to hire him back after the 4th of July but that remains to be seen, and since the job was not paying all our bills anyway we are thankful for this opportunity hubby will have to spend more time looking for a full time job. God saw this coming and was not at all surprised by it. In fact, He allowed it. He is not done sifting us, or refining us, or driving us to our destination (whatever metaphor you want to use). He is God, who loves us and knows exactly what we need in order to be made more Christ-like. And I am not God, and I don't know what we need (even though often I think I do!).

From an earthly perspective this is a really bad thing. But from a heavenly perspective this is not even a blip. And by God's grace I am completely at peace. It has taken months for God to chip through my defenses, my fears and priorities, and my need for control, but I am completely at peace with God being in charge of this journey. Finally, I can acknowledge that He is the One driving (and really mean it) and I can sit back and enjoy the scenery and the detours that He navigates us through. For those of you who have been praying for me since writing this post, thank you! God is answering those prayers abundantly.

My husband has already updated and re-posted his resume on Monster.com, and has had several responses. He has an interview next Tuesday for a local job, and he has applied for one out of state at a company that looks like it would be a good fit for him. Our first choice is still to stay here, but we are willing to go wherever God takes us. We are not the drivers, remember?!

Please continue to pray with us for a full time job that can fully support our family, for God to lead and direct us clearly, and for continued peace as we trust Him with the details of this road trip. Thank you friends!

7 comments:

Marsha said...

Dear friend, now I know why you've been on my heart and in my prayers a little more than usual. I've even felt the tug (again) to encourage you all to look around here for a job, though I know it is so far from both of your families. I am so grateful that you have found His peace and opened your heart to wherever the Lord's "mystery trip" takes you!

Much love, Marsha
~ and remember, Beth comes through here at least once a year, Gilda and Deann aren't too far away...

votemom said...

praying that B has a really great Father's Day today even amid all that has happened.

thank You Father for giving pam peace that passes understanding.... amen!

Lona said...

I am praying.

Happy Father's Day, Good B!

lahbluebonnet said...

Oh my goodness I am human and this took me by surprise. I have been praying throughout the day, daily. Moving here has been a bit fearful, because dh got a 2 year contract job. He was told he would roll over with the new company. Will he? I've been next to paranoid for days on end, on top of sticker shock when house hunting. Finally I had to make up my mind to claim Scripture, to rejoice daily, to focus on the good, etc. Since doing that I have done better. I have no idea what our future holds. It's tenuous for everyone, isn't it? It's not easy from a human standpoint to go down the uncertain road. I'm doing that a lot over here, literally, trying to find my destinations and in particular finding home when I get lost. That can get scary. I am thankful you see God as the driver and I will trust Him with you that He is driving you to the right place, even though it's not down the road we would have first chosen.
Praying, praying, praying for you all! And you are right, there are positives like time to focus on the job hunt and interview! We see through a glass darkly right now...
Blessings,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

praying.
and praying.
and praying.


I love you!

Beth in Texas said...

Oh, Pam. My heart is just breaking. I will definitely be praying for the interview on Tuesday. My prayer is that God will provide for you abundantly and restore what the locusts have eaten.

Laura said...

Praying for your family. There is something so freeing about giving it all to Him... even the stuff. Your faith inspires. May God grant you great courage and may He show you the next step to walk.