Saturday, February 7, 2009

Our Week in Review

Some of the books we used in school last week. We covered events of the one term presidency of Franklin Pierce. Pierce was not a visionary, and he was a rather short sighted president. His support for certain policies probably hastened the start of the civil war. This coming week we will learn about events during the presidency of James Buchanan, and after that, Abraham Lincoln! We will spend about 3 weeks on the civil war, which we are all looking forward to.



The 3 middle boys working on their Zachary Taylor president pages.



I LOVE this picture! I love it because there was a time when I thought this boy would never learn to read. His reading has truly blossomed this year and he is reading often for pleasure. Seeing him read brings me so much joy!


I love this picture too ~ collaboration among siblings is always a beautiful thing.



And I love this picture too! It shows our son G with the very first unabridged classic that he read on his own from cover to cover! Swiss Family Robinson - all 250 pages! He is an excellent reader, but a slow reader. He has taught me this year that slow does not equal struggling. Since I am an excellent reader AND a fast reader, I have always assumed those go together. Not so. He slowly plowed through this book, the original version I might add ~ with old British English, enjoying every page! I was so proud of him when he finished!


My strep is gone, I am feeling healthy and energetic once again. Little Man was sick the early part of the week however, and now son C has it. High fever, lethargy, sore throat. He stayed home from co-op yesterday, spending the morning at home with daddy. In other exciting news, it has warmed up here quite a bit and we are out of the deep freeze! At least for now. The ice dam on our roof melted off today, and I actually saw some brown, soggy grass! First grass I've seen since last year. :-)

Spring IS coming!

1 comment:

Beth in Texas said...

How did that comment get through? I just wanted to know what game the kids were playing. Oh, and tell you that I'm so happy to see your dots. :-)