Sunday, February 1, 2009

IEW Writer's Conference

My friend Sally and I had a wonderful time at the IEW writer's conference! And for my fellow IEW users, to prove that I actually met Mr. Pudewa himself, here is a pic of us together! I was actually a tad giddy about having my picture taken with him, can you tell? He is an excellent speaker; engaging, inspiring, and funny. And he has an amazing vocabulary! Listening to him speak was like music to my ears and food for my soul.

IEW stands for Institute for Excellence in Writing. They produce the writing curriculum and the poetry memorization curriculum we use in our homeschool. I love their approach to writing, because they incorporate the teaching of both structure and style. They teach 9 different models that cover every type of writing that could be required of our students, and they also teach stylistic techniques that make the writing more interesting to read. I have used IEW for nearly two years now, but hearing Andrew Pudewa teach it himself has given me much more confidence in utilizing it fully in our homeschool. I can't wait to implement what I've learned!

The seminar energized me greatly for the rest of the school year, and helped to remind me why we do the things we do, as well as giving me food for thought about NOT doing some things which may be unnecessary. I came home much encouraged!

Unfortunately, I also came home sick. I am pretty sure it's strep throat, though I'm hoping not. If I am not significantly better by morning I will go get a rapid strep culture. Tomorrow will be school lite, naps, and playing catch up from 2 days away. Lord willing, I can dig in to school again in earnest on Tuesday.

5 comments:

Marsha said...

I love the glow on your face, and I'm so happy you had a fruitful time!!! I'll be praying you do NOT have strep and that you'll recover quickly from whatever has you feeling bad.

Hugs, Marsha

Lona said...

Oh, no! Moms don't have time to get sick...especially with strep! How is the rest of the family?

lahbluebonnet said...

Oh, what a sad way to end an uplifting weekend! I hope you feel better soon! I told my kids that you went to a 2 day conference with someone very special in the homeschool community. They thought a moment and cried out, "Andrew!"
Blessings,
Laurie

lazy susie said...

I am SO curious about the things that "are unnecessary". What are they??

Dana Leeds said...

I just found your blog through TOG - we'll be starting this year! Anyway, I LOVE listening to Pudewa speak. He was at our homeschool conference last year. And, what a thrill that he chose our little table to eat at! (Each table had 8-10 chairs and he was actually there talking to someone else, but I almost felt like I was eating with a celebrity.) :-)