Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Us!

17 years ago yesterday, my husband and I embarked on married life together. It was a blissfully happy day for both of us! Despite the occasional disagreement, we are still madly in love with each other. In honor of our anniversary I thought I would post 17 random tidbits that you may not know about us.

1. We honeymooned in British Columbia, Canada for one amazing week.

2. We were both unemployed when we got married (he had just separated from the Navy and I was between jobs due to the marriage move).

3. We planned our wedding long distance. I was living in Indiana, he was in Virginia, and the wedding was in Washington State. I flew to WA two weeks before the wedding, taking my wedding dress as a carry on!

4. The only country we have traveled to TOGETHER since marriage is Canada (prior to marriage it was lots of other ones though!).

5. My husband wears the same pant size as when we got married.

6. I don't.

7. My husband loves recreation on water, and if you are a regular blog reader you know that I hate it.

8. Our first argument was over whether or not a landfill constitutes a mountain. He said it did. I, coming from the land of real mountains, said it didn't. :-)

9. We have never owned a brand new vehicle since getting married.

10. We were married for 5 years before having our first child.

11. Waiting that long was not our choice but now I wouldn't trade it for anything!

12. My husband is a GREAT childbirth coach.

13. I am also a pretty good childbirth coach (unless my friend Sally refutes this!).

14. We have attended the same church since getting married.

15. We love long meandering drives.

16. He is even more pro-homeschooling than I am.

17. He is reserved by nature and I am out-going. We balance each other out perfectly!

Thank you, Lord, for 17 wonderful years with my man. I love him and I love you for giving us to each other. Help me to be the wife that You desire me to be. The wife that he needs. Help me to be faithful in the small daily things that he has come to depend on me for, and help me to support him like a helpmeet and not like a mother. Please keep his thoughts centered on You, Lord, all the time but especially now as he is unemployed. Direct his steps and lead him to the right job in the perfect time. Help him to know how much his family loves him. Amen.

6 comments:

Targetshopper: said...

Happy Anniversary! That was really fun to read and I learned a few things.
Btw, I agree with you on #8. :) #16-was he homeschooled?

Rebekah said...

Congratulations!

I'm going to be checking back non-stop for the new hair picture! I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but a ponytail is just so easy. I don't even know how long my hair actually is!

Teacher/Mom said...

Happy Anniversary! I had to laugh and laugh at numbers 5 and 6! That is almost the same for us, except that DH now wears a size smaller than when we were married. GRRRR! The more I try to diet, the less it works for me and the more it works for him - and he DOES NOT need to lose weight. If anything he needs to gain some. Can't wait for the hair photo. I recently donated 11 inches for locks of love, and shocked my niece at Christmas because she walked in the door while my back was turned and she thought I was someone else.
Blessings.

Pam said...

Targetshopper: good heavens no! My hubby was public schooled all the way. His parents were very skeptical of homeschooling when we started it 8 years ago (thankfully, not anymore). He has just done so much reading and pondering that he is now a very strong homeschooling advocate.

lahbluebonnet said...

My dh and I have argued over mountains. He insisted the Adirondacks are taller than the 14ers in Colorado. I had to pull out the statistics book.

Between you and me, I'd take your side on the mountain. But your dh would be elated to know, that behind my parents house is a landfill, dubbed by the community as Mt. Trashmore. LOL
Blessings,
Laurie

lazy susie said...

Not a lot of that was a surprise to me! I had to laugh about your first argument though. I have no clue what ours was. I think that we should do a list each year; I'll try to remember.

Wonderful prayer!