Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tweaking the Schedule

We are not yet in a good rhythm for this school year. We are getting there, but I am still having to make adjustments to make sure that each of the children has the time they need with me to do those subjects together that require actual teaching, such as latin and grammar and spelling, and for our 6 year old son C, learning to read. Math and handwriting and phonics workbooks are all independent work. Bible and poetry memorization we do together during breakfast. History and science we do together in the afternoons during Little Man's nap time. But last week there was not a single day where we finished before dinner time. This was exhausting for me! The children had breaks throughout the day, and we all took a lunch recess, but it took me that long to cycle through everyone. Of course tae kwon do got thrown into the mix, and we sometimes carted some schoolwork along to the do-jang to do while waiting!

I think I need to make some changes.

We started this year with a new plan. It involved working with our oldest for an hour or so right after breakfast, while our son G did his reading and the other 3 played in the toyroom. Then once daughter G was going with her daily work, I would work with son G while son L did his auditory processing therapy and the younger two watched a 30 minute Bible video. Then when son G was going on all his work, I would work with son L while the younger two did a preschool activity in the family room. Finally I would get to son C (the 6 year old who is learning to read) and work with just him, and then have some time with Little Man reading together before naptime. You get the idea.

Sounded so good in my head and it even looks good on paper! You should see my nice color coded chart! But it is not working out quite as well as I'd planned, and I'm not sure why.

Every homeschool parent I know ends up tweaking their schedule once school actually starts, and this year for us is no exception. I feel like I barely get time with Little Man, and sometimes the 6 year old isn't getting his reading lesson until the middle of the afternoon when he is tired and not at his best. Son L began to feel entitled to his morning play time and complained when I changed things up a little this week in an effort to cycle through everyone sooner. This HAS worked very well for our daughter, who gets time alone with me first thing when we are both fresh, and then she has the whole rest of the day to accomplish her work and she knows exactly what she is to do.

So now I get to figure out how to keep what's good about this schedule and re-do what's not working. Pray for me!

3 comments:

votemom said...

praying for you this monday morning... that God will give you just the insight you need to make your tweaks.

did you find a new piano teacher for L?

Beth in Texas said...

I have a couple of ideas -- call me when you have a chance. I don't know if they will help but it's worth a shot. :-)

Unknown said...

I can totally relate. We're into our 5th week of school but just starting week 4 of material. (We're slowing down with some things to study it a bit longer.) I'm still trying to work out the "perfect balance/schedule" for us this year. It seems to take us a while to figure out what really works and each year it's a bit different. With my 5 (K-9th grade) it's a big juggling act. Who gets what attention when....... I think we're just about into a decent routine for the year. I hope so! I'll pray you find your best fit soon, if you haven't already! The great thing about homeschooling though---- we can adjust as we see the need and we know the children so well. Isn't that a blessing!