Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bye Bye Paci

All of our children have been very attached to their pacifier. At some point while they were all 3, they threw paci away and began sleeping without it. Last night, Little Man decided that this was the day! We had a little "ceremony" (which you'll see in the video) where he put his paci away and opened a gift from Grandma B and Grandpa Dean. Grandma, completely understanding how hard it is to be 3 and learn to live without your paci, has given each of the children a new something to sleep with when they threw their paci away. (thank you Grandma and Grandpa!)
~
Little Man was very excited about his new stuffed dog, but when he was actually tucked into bed, it dawned on him that the going away of paci was meant to be permanent. He cried so hard! I confess, I was ready to cave, but my dear sweet husband assured Little Man that he could be a big, brave boy and hug his new stuffed animal whenever he missed paci. He fell asleep clutching that poor dog so tightly, it was really sweet and funny and a little sad. A bit bittersweet for mommy. No-one in the house is in pullups during the day anymore (yay!) and no-one has a paci. I thought this day would never come, but now that it's here.........mixed emotions.
~
(And if the pajamas that Little Man is wearing look slightly feminine, it's because they are hand me downs from his big sister, which he very proudly wore ALL DAY yesterday!!)

9 comments:

votemom said...

i can't get the video to play... ????

Pam said...

Hmmm, it works for me. I'll try it on hubby's laptop and see if it works.

Marsha said...

Dear friend,

What a milestone for Little Man (AND for his momma!) Sometimes it does seem like a stage of growth will last F.O.R.E.V.E.R., but when they finally get through it, it does come as bittersweet.

Thanks for sharing the video with those of us so, so far away.

Hugs, Marsha

lahbluebonnet said...

I never had to ween my kids off of their pacifiers because they were forever spitting them out. In fact, one time while visiting my parents, we left. Later their dog, a black lab, came running into the living room with the pacifier in her mouth! I wish I could have seen that.
Blessings,
Laurie

votemom said...

ok now it worked.

1. what is a peef (or whatever it's called)?
2. who said "oooooh, i love that!"
3. i love how he is chewing on it and says "becuz i don't want it anymore" - hahaha!!
4. you still sound really stuffed up. i hope your week brings renewed strength and vigor!

votemom said...

oh, i forgot to say that this milestone is going to have to come pretty soon for two certain little girls at our house.

i think for A it will be pretty manageable.

but for K... well... not so much.

Pam said...

votemom: a "peef" is a stuffed bear that goes with a book. It's a Christmas story, and peef is the name of the bear because when you squeeze its tummy, it makes a peef sound. Our son G said, "oh, I love that" because he used to have a peef and just loved it, but misplaced long ago. Well, we examined this "new" peef in A's box more closely and found G's name on the tag! My mom said she found it under a bed at their house, so it's really G's peef and he is sooooo happy to have it back! A thinks it's his and he is graciously sharing it with G right now. :-)

Laurie: That is too funny that the dog had the pacifier in his mouth!! That would make a really cute funniest home video.

Targetshopper: said...

awe. that is bittersweet. He was so cute in the video and I loved how the whole family shared in his excitement. very cute and special.

K prayed for a new paci the night that he gave his up. It was so sad and really sweet.

Rebekah said...

Yay for Little Man!!

I was a little nervous about how it would be when it was time for us to get rid of the paci since I was super attached to mine. My mom says that I would have three in my mouth and two more in my purse :)

But, Steven gave it up on his own this spring. I would unclip it while changing his diaper and then find it still there the next morning.

It didn't dawn on me that he was done with it, and I kept putting it in his mouth at night even after he'd spit it out a few time. One night I realized what I was doing and stopped. That was the end of that.

My biggest fear has always been a thumb/finger sucker, but he didn't replace it with anything. Maybe he was afraid that I was serious when I said I'd duct tape it in if he started sucking his thumb :)