Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Scenes of my Front Porch

I love, LOVE, LOVE my front porch! When we were house shopping 7 years ago, a covered front porch was one of my non-negotiables. I had already lived for 7 years in a house I loved but which did not have a covered front porch, and I am a front porch kinda gal. It is like having an extra room, and it is a particularly delightful room for me because it has no papers or clutter in it, and it is full of beauty. I often have my quiet times with the Lord out here, and we often read books here on the porch swing. We love to watch thunderstorms from the safety of our front porch, and it is even a great place to survey a fresh snowfall! As long as it's not *too* hot or *too* cold, it is pretty much a year round room.

In recent years I have purchased several pre-made pots of annuals to place around my porch. It was very expensive but saved me tons of time. This year I had to save on the money side, but I had more time. So I purchased about $20 worth of annuals and spent a delightful afternoon creating my own flower pots. The downside is that you have to wait several weeks for them to grow really big and spill over the sides of your pots, and look really lush. The upside is that it's much cheaper and you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself!

I love interesting containers. I bought this container last summer at our local farmer's market, but planted in it for the first time last week. Doesn't it look cute?


Baskets count as interesting and pretty containers!


Here is a close up of my garden "worm"(see it sticking out in front? It has a tall pointy hat and its mouth is open as if it's laughing). I found these ceramic worms at our art fair last summer and bought one for my mom and each of my sisters. They are something I had never seen before!


I love this container! It is a bowl made from small rocks glued together. I bought it at my parents' farmers market (several states away!) and carefully brought it home on the airplane. Because of the plane ride I could only buy a very small, shallow bowl and it doesn't hold much. But I love it!



From this porch swing I can see many other lovely flowers that are behind the view of the camera. It's a beautiful place to sit!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, Pam.
Blessings,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

I love flowers too and would greatly enjoy your front porch! You did a terrific job on the flowers!! It's beautiful and I love porch swings.

The containers are very cool - especially the rock one. I wonder if I could make something like that? Maybe the kids and I will try it this summer.