Saturday, May 17, 2008

Today's little daily things

I went to a bridal shower today. After joining my family, who were all at G's soccer game, Little Man commented on my clothing. He said, "this is a really nice shirt mommy. Where did you get it?" Apparently he doesn't see me or notice me dressing up very often! Hopefully he will someday tell his wife that her shirt is really nice too. :-)

Son G LOVES soccer, and I love watching him play!

My daughter and I did a big Sam's Club run. We were in and out in under an hour! Miracle! I had $300 of grocery money in my purse, and G carried a calculator through the store and added everything up as we went along to make sure we didn't go over. I am hoping that a few more times of doing this will give her an appreciation for what different food items cost, how to negotiate with your pocketbook (we put an expensive item back that we didn't really *need*), and how to stay within budget. She has also begun making desserts or muffins for us from boxed mixes. She can do everything herself except put them in the oven ~ she is a little afraid of the oven still. I marvel at how tall and beautiful she is becoming! She is really growing up.

We grilled 3 different kinds of meat for dinner tonight, and ate at our kitchen table while watching part of the movie, "Fiddler on the Roof". The kids really enjoyed it! We had the opportunity to go to a live presentation of this musical this evening, but needed to do the free version. I think it was the right decision. We had to stop the movie several times to answer questions and explain what was happening. I sure love that musical!

I have been busy the last several weeks, researching and ordering curriculum for next year. Most of the main things were already set, but we have been prayerfully considering some changes and additions. I love when we get a box of books delivered to our door! I am having to restrain myself from jumping in to plan for next year in earnest, as we still have 3 weeks of school left in order to finish out this school year. I so want to finish strong.

I have been praying earnestly about our co-op involvement for next school year. This past week I received a phone call from one of the directors of a different co-op. We have been on their waiting list for 2 years, and now there is room for us! We have to be "accepted" first, however, and the children and I have an interview with the directors on Monday morning. I was very upfront with her and told her that I wasn't sure we were ready to make a decision, and that whatever outside activities we are involved in have to mesh well with our overall homeschooling goals. I will be interviewing them as much as they will be interviewing me. :-) But it may be God's answer for us. They have IEW classes, which is the writing curriculum we use at home, and they have two different elementary Apologia science tracks, which is the science curriculum we have been using (not very consistently). So, something else to pray about!

My vegetable garden is still not completely weeded out. :-(

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Thank you so much for the swing--what a blessing in our lives!!

It would be wonderful to get together with you sometime (after school's finished, of course!). It seems like we have a lot in common, and we think we'll be homeschooling if we can't afford PCA.

Mark was homeschooled off and on, mainly using the Bob Jones curriculum. (He also attended their elementary school for a few years when they lived down there.) It's not for everyone, like you said, and a lot of depends on how you do it. I've seen some horror stories, but they are pretty much the parents' fault for not doing it seriously.

I never thought I'd do it. In fact, when Mark kept bringing it up while we were dating and still in high school, I finally told him that it was fine. I'd get my advanced degree and find a nice job, so he could stay home and teach the kids. For some reason, he didn't bring it up again after that :) And yet, here we are seriously discussing it!