Monday, April 14, 2008

Park Day

After lots of rain recently and even some snow flurries over the weekend, we had a cool but sunny spring day today! So off to our neighborhood park we went after lunch.
The older kids played "Marco Polo", where the person who's it has to close their eyes but can say "Marco" and the others have to respond with "Polo". Then the it person can follow the sound of their voice. None of them were actually able to tag anyone, but they had fun taking turns being Marco! Then the boys thought it would be fun to close their eyes all the way home. They used walking sticks to feel when they were off the sidewalk. I made them open their eyes when we crossed the street. :-)

Little Man was too busy pushing around his shopping cart to play Marco Polo!
We had a GREAT school day today, for which I am supremely thankful!
Our daughter (fifth grade) and I had a wonderful writing time together, learning a new skill.....how to summarize a narrative story. I love, love, love our writing curriculum! It's so well laid out and tells me exactly how to teach things to my kids so I'm not guessing or missing something important. Together we summarized and outlined the fable "The Fox and the Crow" today. It was hard and took lots of time, but was very worthwhile. Tomorrow we will re-write this story using our outline. On Wed we will start summarizing another fable, but she will do a little more of it on her own. I have planned on doing 3 like this, together, and hopefully by next week she will be able to summarize/outline and then re-write a short story all by herself.
~
I get to learn so many cool things along with my kids. I love that about homeschooling! Speaking of learning new things, did you know that only about a third of the American colonists supported the idea of independence from Britain? And there were really only a handful of Patriot leaders. They all just happened to be in the right places at the right times, and respond to events in just the right way.....and certain events (like the Boston Tea Party) served to unite the formerly very independent 13 colonies. The set up to the declaration of independence was truly remarkable. The reading we are doing for history just amazes me. Every day I am learning something new.
~
Today I read Longfellow's poem "Paul Revere's Ride" to the children and they were absolutely riveted. Riveted!! Did you know there were TWO riders that night? Anyone know the name of the second rider? It was thought that in case one of them was captured, there should be two riders to go warn Lexington and Concord that the British were coming. As it turned out, both riders ended up being captured (after Revere successfully warned Lexington) and a third man, who just "happened" to be going home late that night after courting a young lady, on the same road that Revere was riding on, ended up being the one to warn Concord (you can rest easy though, both Revere and the second rider escaped shortly after being captured).
~
I am currently reading John Adams by David McCullough, and I tell you what. Those patriot leaders could ORATE! And WRITE! Man oh man, they were so good at it. It stirs liberty in my own breast just reading what they wrote and said. That's a lost art today, isn't it? There's just no comparison to the political campaign speeches we hear snippets of these days. And the love story between John Adams and Abigail Adams.....wow. They were apart for many years of their marriage due to John's government service, and what a blessing for us that nearly 1000 letters they wrote to each other survive to this day.
~
I think this is one of the reasons I homeschool, so I can keep learning too! But I'll stop sharing now lest you get bored. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bored? Surely you jest! =) Wasn't it William Dawes or something? I'm always fuzzy on specifics! Well, do you know WHY Paul Revere's Ride was written? It was the eve before a new era: the first booms of the Civil War were in the near future. Longfellow wanted to unite the country (as the split was happening years before the first cannon shot) by reminding his fellow citizens of their history, of the patriotic ferver back in the days of the American Revolution. I learned that from "Teaching the Classics", an IEW product.
Yesterday we were going over Gulliver's Travels and talking about how the satire was actually sand in the face for the English Parliament. My dc saw it as merely a funny, silly story. I told them the English Parliament was angered by the book and it was banned. DS asked how in the world could parliament interpret that and he couldn't. I told him they had a better education (rhetoric) than we did. I was never trained in the classics and that is why I want them to learn the classics (and I am learning with them ;). Back then they not only had great rhetoric, but they could also hold huge chunks of memorized passages in their head. Then we started talking about brain development and why our brains do not develop as well as the peoples of yore.
Ah, I could chit chat about your comments all day. I just love the American Revolution period in history. When I heard Patrick Henry speak in CW, I was ready to sign up and fight for freedom. How could anyone not?
Oh your comments on the Adams is what came out in dd's book and the PBS series I had mentioned.
Okay, okay, I really must bring this to an end. I just get so excited. I am so glad the writing is going well! ;)
Blessings,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

I also enjoy hearing (and learning) all that you are learning along with the kids. I love history (it was one of my majors) and would love to read through all of my books and old papers again someday. I think that I would also enjoy the John Adams book and will be adding that to my list. Thanks for sharing so much!

Great pics too! I'm glad that warmer weather is here.

Pam said...

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Laurie, you got it right! William Dawes was the second rider. And I completely agree with your comment about Patrick Henry. When we heard him in Colonial Williamsburg last fall I was ready to sign up for the militia on the spot!