Saturday, March 15, 2008

We love co-op!

Yesterday was our day at homeschool co-op. We love co-op and I'm so thankful for the blessing it is to our family! On Thursday evenings I don't like co-op, because I'm usually up later than I want to be preparing for the day (packing up backpacks and snacks, planning my lessons). But on Fridays I love co-op. I love teaching. I love that we have to get up and be somewhere at a certain time (that's really good practice for homeschoolers). I love that my children are being taught such interesting and educational things. I love that my children are making friends. I love it that I am making friends! There are really so many wonderful people in the world, have you ever thought about that? I used to think that I knew all the best people in the world, and now I know that there are many "best" people I haven't met yet!

The two classes I teach are so much fun. The junior gym class is very high energy of course, and very physical. The drawing class is great because the kids are older and it's delightful to interact with them. I have a helper mom this session who is just as excited to be there as the students are!

Our sons G, L and C are all in one class together called "Magic School Bus", and each week they use a different Magic School Bus book to learn about an aspect of science. Last week it was seeds and they brought home a plastic glove with different seeds "planted" in each of the fingers of the glove, with wet cotton balls to make them sprout. Today we will be transferring the seeds that sprouted to little pots, and later this spring we will transplant them into our garden!
Yesterday in this class they learned about bees and honey. They each brought home a small piece of actual honeycomb, and they quizzed their daddy and me on bee facts all evening long. They love this class! (and I do too! It assuages my guilt that I dropped the ball with our science book this year).

Two of our boys (G and C) are also in a recorder class together, where they are learning to play the recorder. They love this class and I love that they do it at co-op and not at home. :-)

Our daughter G is in a sculpting class that is just fabulous, the Kids of Courage class again (where they learn about christian children who are persecuted for their faith), and my drawing class.

Yesterday after co-op a friend of our daughter G came home with us and spent the rest of the afternoon/evening here. We have been trying to get them together for a playdate since before Christmas, so they were thrilled. G's foot seems to be healing nicely so far. No signs of infection (thanks for asking votemom!). She is still favoring that foot quite a bit, and she says that she "feels it" but it doesn't exactly hurt. There are only one pair of shoes she can wear that don't press on her stitches, so she may look a little "interesting" at church tomorrow.

Today I will be going to an annual homeschool book fair in my area. This is a large book fair, with vendors coming from far away states, and I generally buy a good portion of our curriculum at this fair each year. I will see lots of homeschoolers that I know, so it will be fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I am so glad you are part of a great co-op! That is something that completely overwhelms me, I am sorry to say. =(
Blessings,
Laurie