Monday, February 18, 2008

Boys

I love my boys! But sometimes they drive me crazy.

I need a sound proof room in my house. My ears and brain are really tired of hearing shooting and explosion sound effects from 4 little mouths. Why must this be the sound of choice?

God must have a really good sense of humor. He chose to give 4 boys to a mom who did not have brothers growing up and who is still mystified by most things male. At least I love football!

I'm slowly learning how to parent boys, and it's very different than parenting girls. Fortunately, my husband is a boy (great how that works out!) so he helps give me insight and perspective. And God is ever faithful. I love Him for that. I also love how He is gentle with me, showing me the error of my ways without pounding me over the head, and guiding me into a better approach. I can't imagine parenting without the Lord!

I feel pretty confident about my "little boy" parenting, but as they become bigger and older and more detached from me......it is harder to find the balance between me loving on my boys and showing them the respect they need as little men. Some of our discipline techniques have had to change. It is trickier to maintain the same standard of behavior and obedience while not doing or saying anything that inadvertently belittles them or dishonors who God has made them to be. Does that make sense?

Going to find a sound proof corner now for just a few moments of peace and quiet. Oh wait, I hear a coup beginning, I better go hide!

3 comments:

votemom said...

i find raising boys utterly fascinating.

and i am so thankful for the privilege to have both sons and daughters.

what an adventure!

Anonymous said...

You know my recent post about how calm and simple life seemed to be when dd was little? I had so much time. In the afternoons I turned on the Christian radio and sewed and she played on the floor. I had intense quiet times. I had naps. Then...ds came into my life! LOL Now I really need naps! I fall asleep while reading our TOG books or studying other curriculum, only to be awakened by ds. I have little time! And forget to listening to any radio or CD!He has a way of overriding anything that makes a sound! I have tons of CDs from bookfairs just waiting to be listened to! I usually ask people, "Do you have that in writing?" I need to read sentences here and sentences there! Lately in the backseat of the car he is full of war noises...dragging his ds into it! Do you think we'll have peace and quiet, TOGether in 11 day?????? =) I have a feeling, we'll really be missing the noise! LOL
Blessings,
Laurie ;)

Susanne Barrett said...

Aaah, Pam, how well I understand, with three boybarians of my own, ut boys are sweet, too, and I have at least one girl or else I would have gone crazy. God knows what we need, doesn't He? :)

But a sound-proof room would be lovely.