Thursday, December 6, 2007

More Christmas Decorating!

We have done more Christmas decorating this week and we all love the festive feel of the house! We are very much looking forward to getting our live tree this weekend. So in addition to the village on the piano, here's a little bit more of our home, all ready for Christmas.

This is what you see when you come in our front door:

We use our front door all the time for our own comings and goings, and I love seeing the nativity scene as soon as I walk in, and as the last thing before I leave. It helps me keep Jesus at the center of Christmas, where He belongs!


I love our mantle! I spent way more time thinking about this than I should have, but I wanted to do something different this year that would look really nice but not cost a lot of money. Thanks to my good TOG yahoo group friends and Target, mission accomplished! The little trees on either end of the mantle, as well as the lighted garland in the middle are new. The candles, cinnamon bundles, and berry picks I already had. This looks especially nice with a fire blazing and all the other lights out. I know it will be even better when we have our tree with its lights on this weekend.



I love how much the kids love decorating! Last week our 8 year old was complaining that our house was too small. This week he looked around, gave a deep meaningful sigh, and said with feeling, "I love our house!".

Thank you, Lord, for a lovely place to call home. Thank you for the simple joys of decorating and surrounding ourselves with beautiful things, for you created both beauty and the capacity to enjoy it. Help me to see the unlikely beauty that is all around me. Help me to worship you as the Creator, and not worship the creation. Touch my spirit with the beauty of Yours during this holy season. Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! If you still want to use Becca's idea, hang them on the wall instead of the mirror. You could spread them out, some letters hung high, some low. Or do frames with different words realated to Christmas. So many options! I love your home! Try putting your camera on a tripod (or a steady tall child's head), turn out the lights and take a picture of the glow. I did that with our nativity candles the other night (using my knee while I sat on the couch) and got the glow without the blur! At SeaWorld I take pictures in the aquarium using the kid's heads to steady the camera until they can't stand it anymore! LOL
You have all done a lovely job together! Looking forward to the tree!
Blessings,
Laurie

votemom said...

your mantle really looks pretty. i would love a mantle. B has been saying that for the almost-12 years we have lived here. maybe one day.

we are hopefully putting up our tree on sunday afternoon.

Targetshopper: said...

The mantle is beautiful! I may have to copy that look next year. I especially love the story about your 8 year old loving the house. That's really sweet.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is gorgeous!