Friday, November 2, 2007

Sew Crafty Friday - Halloween Costumes

I've decided to participate in something new, Sew Crafty Fridays. On Fridays participants display on their blogs something they have made or are working on that involves either sewing or some type of craft. Since I have about a kajillion unfinished projects, I am hoping that this will provide the motivation to pick some of them up and actually work on them! If you want to know more, please click on the "Sew Crafty Friday" button at the bottom of my right sidebar.

This week it was easy. I made parts of 3 Halloween costumes. Easy you say? Yes, easy. It was so easy I kindof feel like I'm cheating to include it in the Sew Crafty Friday thing, but since it did actually involve both crafting and sewing, I'm thinking that it will qualify on those technicalities!

I sewed with felt rather than fabric. No edges to finish! (that's what makes it so easy). And no pattern, just cut and sew a couple seams. See what I mean about easy?

Here is the indian top I made. It's all about getting the right TRIM!


And the matching pants. These were supposed to look like deer skin. I think I set a personal record with these pants in shortness of time to cut out and sew a "real" article of clothing. 15 minutes, tops. And they were finished a full 10 minutes before the children left to go trick or treating!!


Here is the lincoln green tunic of our Robinhood:


Our daughter went as a scarecrow. She needed a little help with this crow, which is a stuffed sock that we hot glued to her straw hat.


So, without further ado, here are the children decked out in their costumes! A as a lion.


C as a pirate.



G as Robinhood.


L as an American Indian.



And G as a scarecrow.



2 comments:

votemom said...

all your kiddos look terrific! i especially like the lion!!

and there's just something about C's face.... i love looking straight into his eyes. so sweet.

remind me to tell you a very.funny.story about your boys and a lady at church. it happened a while ago, but i keep forgetting to tell you.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful! I learned lots of tricks to getting a costume *done* when I worked in the childrens' choir! Great work!
Blessings,
Laurie