Monday, November 26, 2007

New section added

I've added a new section to my sidebar. It's called "Books I have recently read before assigning them in school". Much of the reading I do during the school year is pre-reading my children's literature books. Therefore those titles change frequently. The "Books I am currently reading" section will remain, these are the books I am reading for myself. :-)

I started a new book this past weekend called "The Out of Sync Child" which describes Sensory Integration Dysfunction and how to treat it. I began reading this book with our 2 year old in mind, since he has so many food texture issues, hates getting his hands messy, and has problems with some of his clothes (the way they fit, the way they feel, and the tags bothering him). But as I have been reading I am having huge bells and whistles going off in my brain about our 7 year old. Enough bells and whistles that I am going to pursue evaluation with an occupational therapist (starting with our pediatrician). Grandparents (and anyone else who feels led!), please pray that we will have wisdom and discernment in this process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for all in this!
Blessings,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear how things went with your pediatircian. I just ordered this book on line after my nephew was diagnosed with SPD. I had some real bells go off with my seven yr old as well. I was thinking of going thru my school first because i was concerned that my pediatircian would think I was self diagnosing and wouldn't take me seriously. Haven't read the book yet so I'm not exactly sure how to proceed until I read it and really get a better understanding. It's funny that I'm just learning about this now and after talking to my sister (her son was the one just diagnosed with it) she told me she was getting OT back in the 70s for this. I never even knew it until this week! And she never knew that I had gotten speech therapy when I was a kid. I guess my parents didn't want us to worry or think something was different about the other kid so that was neat. Once she mentioned it I remembered her doing special exercises to improve eye coordination but I figured it was just her vision. Anyway, I'd be inetersted to hear what your pediatrician said and what they suggested you do from there. My sister's insurance is covering OT for her son. I sort of doubt ours will but I could be wrong.