Monday, November 5, 2007

Mail Call!

I was browsing through one of my favorite homeschool catalogs recently and found this cute little red mailbox. I just had to have one for our homeschool, it was calling my name!! It arrived over the weekend, so today we instituted "mail call". Anyone may write a note or draw a picture to another member of the family and put it in the mailbox. Once a day we will have "mail call", taking turns being the mail carrier and delivering the messages. When I showed the children the mailbox and explained about our new daily mail call, you would have thought I had said that every day was going to be Christmas!! We have several notes (at least a dozen) waiting to be delivered and read during tomorrow's mail call. I can hardly wait!

Here is L hard at work on the very first note to see the inside of the little red mailbox. He is a pretty reluctant writer (he's only 7, so that's pretty normal, writing is still very hard work physically) but he tackled this note with mucho excitement. I am thrilled that a $3.95 investment can help motivate and excite them to write! Stay tuned for snippets from the mailbox!

On a side note, I also purchased some placemats from the same company to use as stocking stuffers. The ones I purchased aren't showing up on the website anymore, so I guess I ordered just in time. Our children love to read educational placemats while eating. Hey, it's cheap curriculum!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute! When my children were preschoolers I laid cut out pictures or whatever on the table where the child sat, and laid a clear plastic tablecloth over that for school while we ate. It was usually for speech therapy/phonics, etc. Well, that was the idea. I usually forgot to do anything about it! I think I was just one tired mommy! lol
Blessings,
Laurie

votemom said...

hey, can i secretly give you some mail to be put in the mailbox on an "as-needed" basis?

Pam said...

votemom: absolutely!!

Marsha said...

Oh, Pam! Votemom has a great idea! Could we perhaps contribute to the little red mailbox, too? If your kids remember mine, it might be a fun thing for mine to surprise yours???

Hugs, Marsha

Pam said...

Marsha: of course!! That would be so fun! Feel free to send mail anytime. :-)