Saturday, October 27, 2007

The timer trick crashed and burned

If you are a regular blog reader you will know that I posted a couple weeks ago about using the timer for our 2 year old A at meal times and what a huge help this was. He is a sloooooow eater, and the timer and promise of dessert has helped a lot the last couple weeks. But it crashed and burned today.

At lunchtime I set the timer for his customary 20 minutes and put a small candy bar (one of those candy bites) beside it. He did not eat a single bite. Not one. Then when the timer went off he said very enthusiastically, "I get my candy bar now Mommy". To which of course I said that no, he didn't since he didn't finish his lunch. Oh, the wailing! The tears! The arched back and the screams when I took the tray off his high chair. I think I heard through the screams that he wanted the tray on so he could eat his lunch. And I told him that he'd already had ample time to eat his lunch and lunchtime was over. I will admit this was very hard for me. The thought of him going to sleep with no lunch in his tummy had my own tummy in knots.

He was so upset with me that my husband offered to put him down for his nap. Remind me to do something really nice for my husband.

I figured that when he woke up he'd be really hungry and eat with a vengeance. Nope. Nada. Zilch. We tried again at dinner. Same timer, same candy bar/bite. He ate the cheese off his taco, and a few tortilla chips, but nothing else. Certainly not one bite of everything on his plate. So once again he lost the privilege of dessert. And lo, there was much wailing in the land.

I'm not sure how many calories he consumed today, but if I had to guess I would say not enough to keep a worm going, much less an active almost three year old. What do I do to get this guy to EAT?????? He does drink well, so he's staying hydrated, but I am truly getting concerned about his lack of food intake. Any other ideas? Please?

6 comments:

Lona said...

Pam,

I remember those days! And not with fondness. How's it going today?

It's my humble opinion that you are laying the foundation for the future, and it's important not to give in once you've started something. Choose carefully which battles you want to fight with this child. (whew!)

Okay. Here's a story. My ds did not potty train until he was OLD--maybe 2-1/2? Threats, bribes, tears, hours of us sitting on the potty waiting for him to go--NOTHING worked. It was harvest-time, and I mentioned that if he were a big boy, he could ride in the combine with his dad. Like a switch was flipped, he went! And it stayed flipped. Praise the Lord for breakthroughs.

Anonymous said...

Pam, I understand the frustration since I went through the same thing with my son. I started posting here earlier and it got too long so I sent you a private e-mail!
Blessings,
Laurie

Pam said...

Lona, thanks for your encouragement! Today was not a good food day for A. He also did not sleep at all during nap time. He is going to bed in just a few minutes. :-)

I loved the story about your son! Isn't it amazing when we find what "clicks" with each child? I do not consider 2.5 to be old for potty training. None of our kids has trained before age 3, and only our oldest is currently nighttime trained (don't tell any of my boys that I told you that!). It will be a happy day in our household when we can stop buying Goodnights.

I don't want to make food a battle per se, if he doesn't eat that's his choice. It's just hard not to worry when he's so thin for his age (he's really tall and skinny - no baby fat left on him at all). Thanks again.

votemom said...

P's bed is available every day for naps ;o)

that was sooo cute.

i don't have any advice about the eating....... i'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

I guess my school of thought is that he'll eat when he's hungry. Keep your timer and reward system and when he's hungry, he will eat. Graysen is not much of an eater. Sometimes he only eats two bites at a meal. The next meal he may do the same and then the next he may surprise me and eat lots. I make him stay in his seat until we are all done. I have never wanted to fight the battle of food. I guess it's because I hear so many stories from friends whose parents made them stay at the table or made them eat something that they didn't like and are living with that memory today. A is still young. When his body tells him to eat, I'm sure he'll eat. Sorry if this doesn't help much.

Kendra

Susanne Barrett said...

Our youngest was just like this, and he was a small child to begin with so I did worry about him not eating enough. He finally grew out of it (pretty much; we still struggle with a few meals he doesn't care for), plus he's learned that as everyone finishes and leaves him at the table alone, there's no fun to be had.

You just have to keep doing what you're doing and be consistent. He won't starve, and he WILL grow out if it. You're doing a wonderful job!