Saturday, October 20, 2007

The story behind the "humidi-cold"

Our son A developed a cough today. A very persistent cough. At dinner tonight I casually remarked that I should put the humidifer in his room at bedtime. To our consternation A immediately burst into tears and wailed, "don't put the fire in my room, it's hot!" He was crying so hard that I had a hard time understanding him and it took a minute before I realized that he'd focused on the "fire" at the end of the word humidifier. Well, I immediately cushioned his head on my shoulder and tried to reassure him that I would never put fire in his room, while the rest of the family erupted into gails of laughter.

Just last week he put one fingertip dangerously close to a burner flame on our gas powered stove, so the fact that fire is indeed hot is very much fresh in his mind.

We decided to call it a humidi-COLD, and it is humming in his room as I type.

2 comments:

votemom said...

oh that is so precious - bless his little heart. i wish my girlies could talk better so i knew what was going on in their minds. i wonder what things i say to them that they misunderstand for something scary?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I have a friend who's son was petrified of turning six. As the birthday approached, she realized it was because he thought he'd have to start driving. Somehow he had confused 6 with 16! Once assured, he had a blast with his bday. Amazing what children "hear"! Praying he's feeling well soon.
Blessings,
Laurie