Monday, October 22, 2007

Life and Death

A young woman at our church died yesterday, apparently from a blood clot. She had recently had surgery but was home and doing well, so it was a complete shock to everyone. She leaves behind a loving husband and a 17 month old son. I did not know her well, but her death has hit hard. She had put her trust in Christ for salvation, so we know she in heaven, perfectly whole and happy. We do not grieve for her. We grieve for her family left behind. My mother's heart grieves especially for her little son, who will not remember his mama.

Meanwhile, my sister and her family are on alert for possible evacuation as several large wildfires ravage southern California. She said in an email today that the sky was particularly eerie - thick grey smoke with the sun appearing as a red orb through the haze. Dozens and dozens of people have already lost their homes.

Why do bad things happen to good people? I don't know. But I could also ask, why not? Are those whom I consider "good" more worthy than anyone else? I'm so glad I'm not God. Lots of things He allows don't make sense to me, but I know from His Word and from experience that He is good, true, loving, and that nothing takes Him by surprise. I can trust Him. Utterly. And so I do. Sometimes with weak faith and with trembling hand, I put my hand in His and say, "lead on, Father. Just don't let go of me!"

In light of these serious events I was not going to post any pictures from the weekend, but then I realized how incredibly grateful I am for each day of life He gives me. Life is so precious!! Just the chance to cook one more meal for my family, to change one more of A's diapers, to read that same book one more time, to finish the ceiling repair stage 2, to kiss my husband again, they are such GIFTS!

And so, here are a few pictures of things I am deeply grateful for.







6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping these very things in prayer that you mentioned, Pam. Just this morning during devotion, the kids and I were talking about the tough things that happen to Christians. Keeping everyone wrapped in prayer,
Laurie

Marsha said...

Dearest Pam,

You know you are all in my prayers...your family, your sister and her family, and the family at your church. Praise God you are looking to Him through it all. We live in a fallen world, and sometimes it's too easy to get caught up in the fall. But as one who has been through some of the worst, if there is such a thing, He is completely worth our trust and faith. Keeping our eyes on Him does pull us through. Thanks for sharing a few of your gifts through these wonderful photos!!!

Much love, Marsha

BlessingintheBattle said...

What a great reminder, Pam, of how much each day is a gift from God. Thanks for that! What a beautiful family you have!

Pam said...

Marsha,

If anyone has been put to the test, I know it's you. Thank you for your encouragement for me to keep my eyes on Jesus.

Praying for you too.

Love,
Pam

votemom said...

i love finished projects around the house... especially those that i don't have to finish!

nice job on the ceiling B.

Lona said...

Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

I believe that feeling that comes over us once in a while--that somehow this is not supposed to be the way things are!--is a form of mourning, of agreeing with the Father's heart.

Praying for comfort for you and for those you've mentioned.