Friday, September 7, 2007

A Typical Day?

I get asked frequently what a typical homeschool day looks like for us, and that has always been a difficult question for me to answer because there really are no typical days. Isn't that the way it is for all stay at home moms, whether or not they homeschool? I strive for routine and order, but there are always curveballs.

So I don't know that this is particularly "typical", but here is a synopsis of our day. It got kind of long and will probably be boring to everyone but me (was a little boring at times for me too!) but does illustrate pretty well the types of things that fill our days. Keep in mind we have not yet started all of our language arts so it does not reflect all we are doing in school.

The kids woke up before me this morning, as I stayed up quite late typing out the class descriptions for the 2 classes I will be teaching this fall at our homeschool co-op. The noise of their play finally penetrated my tired brain around 8:00 and I got up and set the timer for their personal chores (10 minutes to get dressed, make their beds, put their pajamas away, and throw away pullups - they brush their teeth after breakfast, just a weird quirk of mine). Two of the boys didn't finish in the allotted time and they lost 2 nickels each. Changed and dressed the 2 year old. Got myself ready. Helped one child change their sheets. Checked emails during breakfast.

Toward the end of breakfast someone noticed that Mr. Mantis was beginning to stalk a cricket my husband had put in the cage this morning. We all huddled around the cage and watched for about 15 minutes as he s-l-o-w-l-y made his approach. He pounced but only got the cricket's leg. Mr. Mantis sat on a branch and ate the leg while the cricket huddled in a corner. We talked about life cycles and how God intended insects to eat each other otherwise we'd be overrun with insects. 5 year old shed some tears for the cricket and needed comforting. (as a post script, the cricket is still alive but we know from experience he doesn't have long for this world). Decided that this time watching Mr. Mantis would be our science for the day.

After breakfast I read books to the boys for 20 minutes while daughter G practiced the piano. Then I put A in room time and the rest of us gathered at the school table for Bible. We had prayer and then they drew in their journals while I finished reading Mark chapter 1. We discussed leprosy and various other diseases. Mentioned the value of pain.

After Bible we moved on to math. 8 year old son watched a new math lesson on his teaching DVD while daughter G and 7 year old son L began working in their books. I got out a baggie of beans and laminated index counting cards for 5 year old C. Showed him what to do and then began thawing chicken for dinner. Checked on 8 year old to make sure he understood the new lesson. He did and began working in his book. 7 year old and 5 year old were whining, not doing their work, and playing with the beans. Most of them ended up on the floor while I was putting the chicken in the crockpot.

Instructed 5 year old to pick up all the beans and sat down with 7 year old. Did several problems with him, showed him how to build the problem with his math blocks, and then sat down with 5 year old. Together we put beans on each sticker on the index card. Counted outloud while touching each bean. Traced the corresponding numeral with his finger. Meanwhile 8 year old had finished math and earned a play break in the basement toyroom. 10 year old also finished her math page and went to the computer for 30 minutes of keyboarding practice.

The timer on the stove went off, signifying the end of 2 year old's hour long room time. Got A out of his room, noticed a particular odor. While changing his diaper in the family room, his brothers at the math table made him laugh and he kicked his legs down, getting his shorts in the poop. Decided rather than climbing the stairs to get clean shorts I would let him run around in his diaper for awhile. He joined 8 year old in the basement and I put on a Thomas the train video for them.

Checked on the 7 year old who was still working slowly (not happily) at math. Helped 5 year old finish his index card counting so he could join his brothers in the basement. Sat calmly and quietly beside 7 year old as he cried that he was the only one not getting to watch the video. Silently prayed that he'd finish quickly and learn something (of character value, not necessarily math value). God answered!! L worked hard and finished in time to watch the last part of the video.

Daughter G finished keyboarding and helped me make lunch. I taught her how to make chicken salad for sandwiches. Called the boys up, washed hands, and ate. The children had a short recess while I cleaned up and changed a load of clothes from the washer to the dryer. Checked email and answered a couple.

Called the children in from recess and they started booktime in the family room. I cuddled with A and put him to bed for his nap. The 3 older kids read their appropriate readers while 5 year old looked at books of his choice. Read 2 more stories to him. Then we went to the school table and began working on history. Read 3 short chapters from our history book while they colored pages. Reviewed all the "firsts" that happened in 1619, including the first boatload of women to arrive in VA. Discussed the possible reasons for less violence in Jamestown once the women arrived. I was amazed and pleased with some of their insights. 3 older ones worked on a small Pocahontas flap book that will go in their Colonial America lapbooks.

7 year old had an hour of computer time while his brothers watched. I worked on an 8 week outline for one of my co-op classes. Daughter G continued working on her Pocahontas pages.

Then the boys and I went outside for a play break. Daughter G stayed inside to work even more on her Pocahontas pages! I sat on the porch swing and went through the mail. Two neighbor girls joined me on the swing and asked me to read junk mail to them. I opened the Lands' End catalog that came today and read, "these are the classic sweaters you can rely upon to stay in style, year in, year out. Naturally we give you exceptionally rich cashmere in a long-lasting, luxurious knit. We've also fully fashioned these sweaters for a comfortable, slightly shaped fit. Each falls to mid hip." The girls loved it and wanted me to read more which totally made me smile! We picked out our favorites from every page of the catalog.

Then it was time to go in and make the rest of our dinner. Got A up from his nap and instructed him to stay in the backyard where I could see him from the kitchen window. He stayed obediently in the backyard with his brothers, thank you Lord! Made rice and steamed broccoli. Turned off the crockpot. Went outside twice to settle disputes. Mixed up cookie dough. Brought clothes up from the dryer and folded a few.

Ate dinner. Baked a tray of cookies and set one in front of the 2 year old as motivation to eat his dinner. Now this part is VERY typical - after more than an hour he finally finished enough of his dinner to earn the cookie!!

Kids rode their bikes outside and then we came in and played board games for about an hour. Started a game of chess with the 8 year old. Put the kiddos to bed. While this was happening my beloved came home from a looooong day at work, so he got to kiss the children before lights out.

Now I am contemplating whether or not to leave the dinner dishes for tomorrow or go ahead and wash them tonight. I may leave them. Stay tuned......

4 comments:

BlessingintheBattle said...

WOW! What a day! Thanks for sharing your "typical" day with us!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,

I enjoyed reading about your day! It sounds so much like mine; I only I have just four so far :)

Amy B (SLPREK)

Pam said...

Amy B,

Yes, I'm sure many homeschoolers can relate to this description! Especially those schooling multiple children. Our "typical" days have changed so much since the days when I was only schooling one.

Debbie said...

I also went out twice to watch the meteor shower. Both times I was disappointed. I think it was way too cloudy this year. Every year I go out and watch actually, and I am always disappointed. One time me and my sister stayed outside until 3am and we still didn't see any. Are we on the wrong side of the world?