Wednesday, September 5, 2007

He did it!! He did it!!

Our 7 year old son L finished this reading book yesterday!! In January of 2006, in the middle of his kindergarten year, he begged me to teach him to read. So I dug out "Teach your child to read in 100 Easy Lessons" and we went to work. Slowly. When he got frustrated we would put it aside for awhile. Last year during first grade we worked on it more consistently and got to lesson 99 by June of this year. We intended to finish that last lesson all summer long and just never did. So yesterday was the day! I am SO proud of him for all his hard work. He is the first of our children to finish all 100 lessons and feels such a sense of accomplishment. We are planning an "I can read!" party to celebrate!!

Way to go L!! We are so proud of you and we love you very much!

5 comments:

votemom said...

he looks so cute with his sun-kissed cheeks!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! That is terrific! And what a great picture! A party is needed for sure!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I had to laugh though, only one lesson left dangling all summer. That would have bugged me! That gave extra reason to celebrate! How cute with the crown! Thanks for the prayers!
Blessings,
Laurie

Pam said...

Laurie,

Yeah, it did bother me too to have one dangling lesson left, but at the end of school in June we were both ready for a break from that book and from each other, kwim? I just never thought it would take us 10 weeks to pick it up again!

Susanne Barrett said...

Our 7yo B finished that 100th lesson on the last day of school in June. As he's my last one to teach reading to, I was sorely tempted to BURN the book as a celebration (more for me than for him) but thought we might need it again or could lend it out.

I really wanted to burn it, though. I've taught all four kids to read from the same volume and I was really looking forward to seeing it go up in smoke. :)