Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Blooming in spite of the weeds


Flowers. Aren't they beautiful? I couldn't choose between these two pics so I decided to publish them both. They are from our backyard. The family who lived in this house before us put in many sculpted flower beds, and the yard was truly beautiful when we bought the house. It is not quite so beautiful now. I love to garden, but pruning and weeding in the lives of our children has taken precedence over pruning and weeding in my yard. If you look closely you will notice lots of weeds mixed in with those beautiful flowers! I was thinking about this as I pulled some weeds yesterday.... weeding is a never ending chore. And "weeding" as part of parenting is never ending also. Then the Holy Spirit turned the spotlight onto me. There are some weeds in my life that I thought were pulled long ago, but here they are again. Ugh! Why do I still struggle with some of the same things I struggled with 20 years ago? Will I never be completely weed free? When will I be ready for the cover of Better Homes and Gardens?
I am so thankful that God doesn't tire of weeding and pruning me! He patiently works, day after day, year after year. Always faithful. Never quitting due to discouragement. What a comfort Philippians 1:6 is, "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." I am so very thankful for my Master Gardener.
Lord, help me to submit to your weeding and pruning in my life. Make me the person you want me to be. I know I'm a slow learner sometimes (often!) but please don't give up on me. My heart's desire is to bloom for you, showing your glory! Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your flowres! I had wanted to get pics of my flowers today...but ran out of time and have to go to bed and start vacation tomorrow! I like your thoughts, I think those things often when I weed myself. As for keeping up with my garden, I just call it my rustic, carefree garden...like in a quaint town nearby where we like to antique shop and enjoy the tea room. Blessings,
Laurie

Susanne Barrett said...

Love both your flowers and your prayer -- "weeding" and "pruning" allow for new growth if we allow our Father to cut away what is no longer healthy or needed....

Great blog, Pam!

BlessingintheBattle said...

What a great reminder of God's constant work in our lives! Beautifully said, Pam!

votemom said...

it was a pruning day here. overall i was a good pruner but wish i could take back one "cut".

which is harder? being the pruner or the prunee?